Computer Ethics, Sum 2023
Mondays and Wednesdays 6:00-7:30+
Class 5 Readings
Before class 5, finish reading chapter 1 of Baase and read the first three
sections of chapter 4.
Theories of Privacy
paper 1, revision due 6/10
The Supreme Court is Wrong About Andy Warhol
Maybe. But this guy knows his Warhol art.
Note: this is an actual rule: "
Unicode Standard does not encode idiosyncratic, personal, novel,
rarely exchanged, or private-use characters"
- The case was decided to emphasize that "transformative use" really had
to have a different purpose.
- The case was decided because the Warhol Foundation was licensing the
image not as art, but as an appropriate illustration for magazine
articles about love_symbol/Prince Rogers Nelson, and this really did
encroach on Goldsmith's copyright.
Textbooks and filesharing
The Bear Necessities
You just cannot make up stuff like this. Note the "open-fields" doctrine.
More serious issues:
- Can the government fly a drone over your property?
- Can the government set up a camera in front of your home, to monitor
who comes and goes?
- Miller: third party rule
- Smith v Maryland: the police sure had probable cause
- Antoine Jones and Melvin Skinner
- Riley and Wurie
- Warshak, and third-party rule